Electrical Shock

Strange as it may seem, most fatal electrical shocks happen to people who should know better. Here are some electromedical facts that should make you think twice before taking chances.

It's not the voltage but the current that kills. People have been killed by 100 volts AC in the home and with as little as 42 volts DC. The real measure of a shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (in milliamperes) forced through the body. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal amount of current.

Currents between 100 and 200 milliamperes (0.1 ampere and 0.2 ampere) are fatal. Anything in the neighborhood of 10 milliamperes (0.01) is capable of producing painful to severe shock. Take a look at Table.

Readings
Effects
Safe Current Values
1 mA or less

1 mA to 8 mA
Causes no sensation - not felt.

Sensation of shock, not painful;
Individual can let go at will since
muscular control is not lost.
Unsafe current values
8 mA to 15 mA



15 mA to 20 mA



50 mA to 100 mA



100 mA to 200 mA

200 mA and over
Painful shock; individual can let go at will since muscular control is not lost.

Painful shock; control of adjacent muscles lost; victim can not let go.

Ventricular fibrillation - a heart condition that can result in death - is possible.

Ventricular fibrillation occurs.

Servere burns, severe muscular contractions - so severe that chest muscles clamp the heart and stop it for the duration of the shock. (This prevents ventricular fibrillation).

As the current rises, the shock becomes more severe. Below 20 milliamperes, breathing becomes labored; it ceases completely even at values below 75 milliamperes. As the current approaches 100 milliamperes ventricular fibrillation occurs. This is an uncoordinated twitching of the walls of the heart's ventricles. Since you don't know how much current went through the body, it is necessary to perform artificial respiration to try to get the person breathing again; or if the heart is not beating, cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is necessary.

Electrical shock occurs when a person comes in contact with two conductors of a circuit or when the body becomes part of the electrical circuit. In either case, a severe shock can cause the heart and lungs to stop functioning. Also, severe burns may occur where current enters and exits the body.

Prevention is the best medicine for electrical shock. Respect all voltages, have a knowledge of the principles of electricity, and follow safe work procedures. Do not take chances. All electricians should be encouraged to take a basic course in CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) so they can aid a coworker in emergency situations.

Always make sure portable electric tools are in safe operating condition. Make sure there is a third wire on the plug for grounding in case of shorts. The fault current should flow through the third wire to ground instead of through the operator's body to ground if electric power tools are grounded and if an insulation breakdown occurs.



Source: http://www.elec-toolbox.com
Webmaster, Earn Money Here!
@ Safety Information...ThinkSafe,WorkSafe

4 comments:

Nath said...

it's not the first time i'm having trouble reading your post. The AdChoices on your right keeps on blocking the view. It's hard for me to read so I might lost interested to check out your sharing :(

man said...

Thanks for your comment.

This problem is usually caused by the screen resolution on the computer you use.

Mama Ema said...

anak-anak perlu diperhatikan..sebab anak-anak suka main plug kan

man said...

betul tu..

Popular Posts